We have been delighted at the response to our Black Voices Matter Open Submissions Period, and want to thank every author who has submitted their work to us, as well as everyone who has shared the details of this opportunity to their networks.
We are now reading through the first batch of submissions, and will be responding to their authors in the coming weeks.
Having been blown away at the fantastic response so far, we have decided to scrap the original September 30th closing date for the submissions period, and extend it indefinitely.
Interested authors can continue to submit their work to the Black Voices Matter inbox according to the guidelines below, and our team will continue to read and respond to them as they come in, with the aim of responding to every submission within three months of receipt.
If we do decide to close the submissions period, we will give at least one month’s notice, so that all authors have the greatest possible opportunity to submit.
Thank you again, we look forward to reading more of your fantastic work!
The Angry Robot Black Voices Matter Open Submissions Period
What we’re looking for:
- novel-length works (60k words minimum) only
- science fiction, fantasy, and horror. From old-school to modern, pulpy to literary, classic to cross-over, if it’s genre, and it’s good, then we’d love to read it! You can check out our complete publication list here to see how wide our tastes run
- adult fiction
- a single submission per author, so send us your best work!
- finished manuscripts only
What we’re NOT (currently) looking for:
- short story collections, novelettes, novellas, telenovellas, noveltinos, or anything else that’s not a novel
- young adult or new adult
- works in progress
- previously published works (including self-published)
How to Submit
Send your submission documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
To meet the submission guidelines, you’ll need to send us:
- A cover letter introducing yourself and pitching your work (600 words max)
- A separate MS-Word compatible doc including your work’s synopsis (one page max), and its first three chapters or first 15 pages (whichever is longer)
If we like what we read, we’ll get in touch to ask to see the full manuscript! We’ll do our best to provide individual feedback on every submission, regardless of whether we ask to see the full manuscript, but we are a very small team so this may take some time.
Please note that this submissions period is restricted to Black writers who are currently without agents.
If you’re an agented Black writer with a manuscript on submission, we’d still love to read it! Just ask your agent to submit to us at email@example.com.
For all other writers interesting in submitting to Angry Robot, we will be running a general open submissions period in 2021. Please do keep checking our website, and follow us on social media, for more news of when this submissions period will run closer to the date!