As part of our commitment to publishing the very best in Sci-FI, Fantasy, and WTF?! from the very broadest and best range of voices possible, Angry Robot are delighted to announce the details of our new Black Voices Matter Open Submissions period, exclusively for SFF manuscripts from Black writers who currently don’t have agented representation.
The Black Voices Matter Open Submissions window will run for an initial period of three months, from 12:00am Wed July 1st BST (British Summer Time) until 11:59pm BST Thu September 30th, though we may extend it if we get a good response. There will be no preference given to early submissions, so please take all the time you need to polish your submission before you send it in!
What we’re looking for:
- novel-length works (60k words minimum) only
- science fiction, fantasy, and horror. From old-school to modern, pulpy to literary, classic to cross-over, if it’s genre, and it’s good, then we’d love to read it! You can check out our complete publication list here to see how wide our tastes run
- adult fiction
- a single submission per author, so send us your best work!
- finished manuscripts only
What we’re NOT (currently) looking for:
- short story collections, novelettes, novellas, telenovellas, noveltinos, or anything else that’s not a novel
- young adult or new adult
- works in progress
- previously published works (including self-published)
How to Submit
Send your submission documents to email@example.com, any time between 12:00am Wed July 1st BST (British Summer Time) and 11:59pm BST Thu September 30th.
To meet the submission guidelines, you’ll need to send us:
- A cover letter introducing yourself and pitching your work (600 words max)
- A separate MS-Word compatible doc including your work’s synopsis (one page max), and its first three chapters or first 15 pages (whichever is longer)
If we like what we read, we’ll get in touch to ask to see the full manuscript! We’ll do our best to provide individual feedback on every submission, regardless of whether we ask to see the full manuscript, but we are a very small team so this may take some time.
Please note that this submissions period is restricted to Black writers who are currently without agents.
If you’re an agented Black writer with a manuscript on submission, we’d still love to read it! Just ask your agent to submit to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all other writers interesting in submitting to Angry Robot, you can check out the details of our general 2020 Open Submissions period here, which opens on Mon Jul 6th and runs through to Sun Jul 20th.