We’re a small team and jobs come up only rarely, but when they do we’ll publicise them below and on social media. If there’s nothing listed, then we have no available positions. But, why not go and do amazing work in the SF community instead – run a review blog or a news website, help out at or even found a convention, generally make a name for yourself.
COMMISSIONING EDITOR (Full-time)
A fantastic opportunity has arisen to join our award-winning Angry Robot imprint as a Commissioning Editor, this senior role will see you acquiring, editing and overseeing Angry Robot’s range of science fiction & fantasy novels. Based in our busy Islington office this is an exciting opportunity for an energetic and engaged individual to drive this established imprint forwards that reports directly to our Managing Director, Etan Ilfeld.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (further details listed below)
- Handle all new submissions.
- Acquire new titles.
- Edit titles for publication.
- Handling promotion
- Support authors.
- Be a part of the Angry Robot gang.
- Ensure that the Angry Robot imprint is profitable on a monthly basis.
- Field queries from authors & agents.
- Log submissions in and out.
- Read & report on new submissions.
- Promote promising new titles to sales and marketing.
- Send out rejection emails.
- Work with the CEO to strategize and schedule the AR range going forwards.
- Build relationships with key contacts among SF authors and agents.
- Identify suitable books to publish.
- Negotiate terms with authors or agents.
- Oversee issuing of contracts.
- Provide structural edits for chosen titles.
- Liaise with authors on rewrites.
- Arrange for all titles to be copy-edited, proofread and typeset, from the list of available freelancers.
- Ensure all freelancer invoices passed to accounts.
- Oversee and update AR’s style and submission guidelines.
- Arrange promotion events for each book, both physical and online.
- Encourage and support authors in promotional activity.
- Maintain database of contacts with bloggers, reviewers, etc.
- Communicate promotion plans with UK and US sales & marketing teams.
- Send out author questionnaires; file all replies.
- Order & despatch any samples, review copies, etc.
- Help with author events, both physical and online.
- Be aware of all authors’ needs through regular contact.
Leader of the Robot Army:
- Promote the Angry Robot brand at all times.
- Contribute regularly to the Angry Robot website and social media.
- Advise on editorial needs and the wider topic of SF and fantasy fiction, new reading technology and online opportunities.
- Contribute general ideas about the AR range and the business.
- Monthly profit and loss analysis of the AR imprint will be shared and includes all books (backlist & new titles)
- Manage the imprint to ensure an operating profit each month
- Accountable to monthly and annual targets set
- Editor and copy editing, proofreading skills and generally high standard of grammar.
- Knowledge of SF & F books and publishing scene.
- Assertiveness and negotiating skills.
- Scheduling and project management.
- Communication skills.
- Web and social media skills.
- Word and Excel competence.
- Knowledge of InDesign would be a plus
- A sense of ownership over role and actions.
- Respond quickly and positively to changes.
Etan Ilfeld, Managing Director of Watkins Media Ltd
To apply please send a covering letter, including notice period, and CV to Etan Ilfeld (email@example.com)
INTERNS & WORK EXPERIENCE
We do accept candidates for work experience placements which run work for two weeks at a time, with a possible extension to four weeks if required and wanted. Please send us your covering letter and CV to incoming[at]angryrobotbooks[dot]com and tell us about yourself. NB: You must have a right to work in the UK.
FREELANCE EDITING & PROOFREADING
We do use freelancers for this work, but as well as a trusted crew of editors we also have a back-up shortlist with more than twenty names on it. When we’re in need of new names, we will announce on here.