You know that we love our books, and we know that you love our books (awwww, isn’t this sweet!). It’s also very gratifying when we’re told that awards committees also love our books.
The shortlists of the Kitschies Awards have just been announced, and Angry Robot are once again represented.
The Kitschies is an annual prize for books containing elements of the “speculative and fantastic” for the most “progressive, intelligent and entertaining fiction” published in the previous year.
The shortlists are listed in full, below, but a shout-out to our nominees is in order, as this is our blog, and if you don’t like it we’ll just take our football and go home, and then where will you be? Huh? Huh? Huh?
Nominated for the Golden Tentacle (Debut) award is: Ramez Naam for Nexus – one of the most progressive, intelligent and entertaining books published last year!
Good luck to Mez and Will. We’ll be at the ceremony on 12th February in London to cheer you on! Good luck, also, to the other nominees (especially in the Red Tentacle race, in which we don’t have a horse. Or, you know… a book).
The Red Tentacle (Novel) nominees, selected by judges Kate Griffin, Nick Harkaway, Will Hill, Anab Jain and Annabel Wright:
- • Red Doc> by Anne Carson (Jonathan Cape)
- • A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki (Canongate)
- • Bleeding Edge by Thomas Pynchon (Jonathan Cape)
- • More Than This by Patrick Ness (Walker)
- • The Machine by James Smythe (HarperCollins / Blue Door)
The Golden Tentacle (Debut) nominees, selected by the same panel of judges:
- • Stray by Monica Hesse (Hot Key)
- • A Calculated Life by Anne Charnock (47 North)
- • Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (Orbit)
- • Nexus by Ramez Naam (Angry Robot)
- • Mr Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (Atlantic)
The Inky Tentacle (Cover Art) nominees, selected by judges Craig Kennedy, Sarah Anne Langton, Hazel Thompson and Emma Vieceli:
• Dreams and Shadows by C. Robert Cargill (Gollancz) / Design and illustration by Sinem Erkas
• The Age Atomic by Adam Christopher (Angry Robot) / Art by Will Staehle
• Homeland and Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow (Titan) / Design by Amazing15
• Stray by Monica Hesse (Hot Key) / Art by Gianmarco Magnani
• Apocalypse Now Now by Charlie Human (Century) / Art by Joey Hi-Fi
Once again, congratulations to all the nominees. With over 230 books submitted by 57 imprints, it’s a huge achievement to be shortlisted! (And how wonderful to see 3 regular Angry Robot cover artists and designers shortlisted for the Inky Award – Will, Amazing15 and Joey HiFi)
Angry Robot’s Kitschie Awards History
Zoo City by Lauren Beukes (winner of the Red Tentacle)
King Maker by Maurice Broaddus (winner of the Golden Tentacle)
vN by Madeline Ashby (shortlisted for the Golden Tentacle)
Costume Not Included by Matthew Hughes, Cover by Tom Gauld (shortlisted for the Inky Tentacle)
So that’s 6 books shortlisted in 5 years. We can live with that… 🙂
(Well, 4 years if you consider the fact that we weren’t publishing for the first year of these awards!)